연락처 : 031-400-5811
B. S. Sung Kyun Kwan University, Seoul, Korea
M. S. Sung Kyun Kwan University, Seoul, Korea
Ph. D. Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
Postdoc Veterans Administration Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan,
Postdoc University of California San Francisco
Assistant Professor, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine
Associate Professor, Seoul National University College of Veterinary Medicine
Assistant Professor, University of Kentucky College of Medicine
Graduate Faculty, University of Tennessee-Martin
Professor, Hanyang University College of Pharmacy
HONORS AND AWARDS
Graduate-Professional Scholarship, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan (1996-1998)
Graduate Research Assistant Fellowship, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan (1997-1998)
Poster Presentation Awards (First Place), Frontiers in Molecular Medicine (1997)
Morris Hood Jr. Comprehensive Diabetes Center Fellowship (1999)
The John Douglas French Alzheimer…s Foundation Fellowship (2000-2002)
American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
The Korean Society of Veterinary Science
Human Proteome Organization
Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association
Editor, Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Peer review - Article since 2003
PLoS ONE, Journal of Virology, Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, European Journal of Neuroscience, Biochemica et Biophysica Acta-Molecular Basis of Disease, Biologics: Targets and therapy, Prion, Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, Infection, Genetics and Evolution, American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics, Neurochemical Research, Future Neurology, Journal of Basic Microbiology, Journal of General Virology, Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Peer review - Grant
Alzheimer`s Association, Chicago, Illinois
University of Minnesota
Israel Science Foundation, Israel
Medical Research Council - Neurosciences and Mental Health Board, U.K
Conference organization and session chair
Session Chair, Prion Mini-Symposium, University of Kentucky College of Medicine (2009)
Session Chair, 2nd Annual World Congress of Industrial Biotechnology (2009)
Conference Organizer and Committee Chair Korean-American Scientist and Engineers Association-Kentucky Chapter 2012 Winter Conference (2012)
Consulting and Expert opinion
SoftBank Korea Venture Capital
Expert opinion for Lancet Infectious Disease Varient CJD: down, but not out yet 8:283 (2008)
Scientific Advisory Board, World Congress of Industrial Biotechnology 2009 (2008-2009)
Molecular mechanism of prion replication
Translational research for developing anti-prion drug/therapy
INVITED LECTURES AND ORAL PRESENTATIONS (selected from >40 lectures)
University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (1999)
National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Services (2001)
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado (2004)
Korea Basic Science Institute-Chuncheon Branch (2004)
Korea Food and Drug Administration (2005)
National Veterinary Research and Quarantine Services (2005)
International Symposium on Food Safety and Zoonotic Diseases (2005)
2005 National Institute of Toxicological Research International Symposium (2005)
HUPO2007, The 6th Annual World Congress, Human Proteome Organization (2007)
2008 International Conference of Federation of Korean Microbiology Societies (2008)
2nd Annual World Congress of Industrial Biotechnology 2009 (2009)
Cincinnati Children`s Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio (2009)
PRION 2011 Congress, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (2011)
1. Mays CE, Yeom J, Kang H-E, Bian J, Khaychuk V, Kim Y, Bartz JC, Telling GC, Ryou C (2011) In vitro amplification of misfolded prion protein using lysate of cultured cells. PLoS ONE, 6:e18047.
2. Ryou C, Titlow W, Mays CE, Bae Y, Kim S (2011) The suppression of prion propagation using poly-L-lysine by targeting plasminogen that stimulates prion protein conversion. Biomaterials, 32:3141-3149.
3. Lee H-J, Maeng K, Dang H-T, Kang G-J, Ryou C, Jung J, Kang H-K, Prchal J, Yoo E-S, Yoon D (2011) Anti-inflammatory effect of methyl dehydro-jasmonate is mediated by the NF-?B pathway. Journal of Molecular Medicine, 89:83-90.
4. Mays CE, Ryou C (2011) Plasminogen: a cellular protein cofactor for PrPSc propagation. Prion, 5:22-27.
5. Mays CE, Ryou C (2010) Plasminogen stimulates propagation of protease-resistant prion protein in vitro. FASEB Journal, 24:5102-5112.
6. Lim Y-b, Mays CE, Kim Y, Titlow W, Ryou C (2010) The inhibition of prions through blocking prion conversion by permanently charged branched polyamines of low cytotoxicity. Biomaterials, 31:2025-2033.
7. Kim Y, Han B, Titlow W, Mays CE, Kwon M, Ryou C(2009) Utility of RNAi-mediated prnp gene silencing in neuroblastoma cells permanently infected by prions: Potentials and limitations. Antiviral Research, 84:185-193.
8. Mays CE, Titlow W, Seward T, Telling GC, Ryou C (2009) Enhancement of protein misfolding cyclic amplification by using concentrated cellular prion protein source. Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications, 338:306-310.
9. Kim Y, Song J, Mays CE, Titlow W, Yoon D, Ryou C (2009) Changes in gene expression of kringle domain-containing proteins in murine brains and neuroblastoma cells infected by prions. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 328:177-182.
10. Ryou C, Mays CE (2008) Prion propagation in vitro: are we there yet? International Journal of Medical Sciences, 5(6):347-353.
11. Shin W, Lee B, Hong S, Ryou C, Kwon, M (2008) Cloning and expression of a prion protein (PrP) gene from Korean bovine ( Bos taurus coreanae ) and production of rabbit anti-bovine PrP antibody. Biotechnology Letters, 30:1705-1711.
12. Mays CE, Kang H-E, Kim Y, Shim SH, Bang J-E, Woo H-J, Cho Y-H, Kim J-B, Ryou C (2008) CRBL cells: Establishment, characterization and susceptibility to prion infection. Brain Research 1208:170-180.
13. Ryou C (2007) Prions and prion diseases: Fundamentals and mechanistic details. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 17(7): 1059-1070.
14. Yung L, Huang Y, Lessard P, Legname G, Lin ET, Baldwin MA, Prusiner SB, Ryou C, Guglielmo BJ (2004) Pharmacokinetics of quinacrine in the treatment of prion disease. BMC Infectious Diseases 4:53.
15. Ryou C, Legname G, Peretz D, Craig JC, Baldwin MA, Prusiner SB (2003) Differential inhibition of prion propagation by enantiomers of quinacrine. Laboratory Investigation, 83(6): 837-843
16. Ryou C, Prusiner SB, Legname G (2003) Cooperative binding of dominant negative prion proteins to kringle domains. Journal of Molecular Biology, 329(2): 323-333.
17. Bosque PJ, Ryou C, Telling G, Peretz D, Legname G, DeArmond S, Prusiner SB (2002) Prions in skeletal muscle. Proceedings of National Academy of Science, U. S. A., 99(6): 3812-3817.
18. Hadden TJ*, Ryou C*, Zhu L, Miller RE (2002) CAAT/Enhancer Binding Protein activates an enhancer in the glutamine synthetase distal 5`-flanking sequence. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 397(2): 258-261. *Equal contribution to the work for this article.
19. Lee J, Ryou C, Jeon BK, Lee P, Woo H-J, Kwon M (2002) Gene cloning and nucleotide sequence of human dihydrolipoamide dehydrogenase-binding protein. Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, 15(3):421-426.
20. Ryou C, Chung T, Kwon M (2001) Molecular cloning and hyperexpression of a Bt gene, cryIAc, in Escherichia coli DH5?: production and usage of anti-cryIAc antibody. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 11(6):1093-1098.
21. Ryou C, Kim J-B, Kwon M (2000) Immunochemical studies on expression of quinoproteins in Escherichia coli. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 10(1):95-98.
22. Hadden TJ, Ryou C, Miller RE. (1997) Elements in the distal 5…-flanking sequence and the first intron function cooperatively to regulate glutamine synthetase gene expression during adipocyte differentiation. Nucleic Acids Research, 25(19):3930-3936
Books and book chapters
1. Ryou C (2011) Prion diseases, In: Encyclopedia of Life Sciences, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Chichester, UK, ISBN: 978-0-470-01590-2 (electronic version), http://www.els.net, DOI: 10.1002/9780470015902.a0000428.pub2
2. Ryou C, Mays CE (2010) Prions (Chapter 8), In: Molecular aspects of infectious diseases, Ed. Saleh M, Nova Science Publisher, Hauppauge, New York. pp129-149. ISBN: 978-1-61728-690-2 (hard cover), ISBN: 978-1-61761-251-0 (electronic version)
3. Ryou C (2010) Transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (Chapter 9), In: Molecular aspects of infectious diseases, Ed. Saleh M, Nova Science Publisher, Hauppauge, New York. pp151-172. ISBN: 978-1-61728-690-2 (hard cover), ISBN: 978-1-61761-251-0 (electronic version)
4. Ryou C (2005) Prion research-Preparation for the future (Chapter 3), In: Research trend analysis on safety evaluation of animal-derived food and medicine material, Ed. Division of toxicological pathology, National Institute of Toxicological Research, Seoul, Korea (Korean)
5. Kwon M, Ryou C (2004) Genetic Engineering: Principles and Practices, Academy Book Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea, ISBN: 89-7616-284-6
Total 50 abstracts
1. Ryou C (2009) Therapeutics for prion diseases, Korean Patent Registration # 100881636
2. Ryou C (2008) Treatment for degenerative brain diseases caused by prion proteins, Korean Patent Registration # 100849422